The mathematical numbers can be expressed in both figures and letters. Those numbers which are expressed in letters are known as a number in words. Likewise, those numbers which are represented by the help of figures, are known as a number in figures. For example, one can be written as 1, which represents the number in figures whereas 1 can be written as one, which represents the number in words. The number in words can be written for all the natural numbers based on the system of place values. Natural numbers are those numbers that can be thought of. Numbers such as real numbers, whole numbers, and positive and negative numbers are types of natural numbers. The place value system signifies the order of numbers i.e. ones, tens, thousands, lakhs, ten lakhs, and so on.
Steps of Writing Numbers in Words
To recall, those numbers which are expressed in letters are known as numbers in words. To write any number correctly in words, one must check its place value. The following are the steps of writing numbers in words.
- The numbers from 1 to 9 are written from the place value of one’s. For example, 1 = one, 2 = two, 3 = three, 4 = four, 5 = five and so on.
- The least number that is situated as ten’s place is 10. It is written in ten words.
- Numbers from 11 – 19 are written as, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen. Likewise, after 20, the pattern is like thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, and so on.
- You must note that the preceding numbers are linked with the other words or numbers and are mentioned from 1 to 9 accordingly. For instance, 21 = twenty-one.
Example: Write 40,000 thousand words.
Solution: 40,000 is written in figures.
In words, 40,000 = forty-thousand.
Points to Remember the Number in Words
The following are the tips to remember the number in words.
- You can remember all the numbers in words by writing them on a sheet of paper and practicing it again and again.
- You can also memorize all the spellings from the number 1 to 10 as all the other numbers are written from this area. Thus, 1 to 10 is the basis of numbers in words.
Online Math Worksheets
Cuemath is an online-teaching-based platform that provides a student with high-quality maths teaching. It is supported by more than two lakhs of students and used by students in over 20 countries. At Cuemath, teachers are passionate about their role i.e. educating or teaching. It also provides you with various types of online math worksheets, puzzles, and games based on mathematics that encourages a student to study mathematics properly. Now, the math worksheets are curated for different classes and age groups. Practicing these worksheets may help you to reinforce the stepwise learning mechanism of concepts. This will also change the approach to thinking strategically, recognizing their mistakes, and developing mathematical skills. The online math worksheets help a student to visualize different concepts and see things from a larger view. It also creates an engaging learning experience by providing a variety of questions for a particular topic.